Specialist training to help you understand and manage the privacy risks when collecting, analysing, linking and sharing data about people, for research, evaluation or data analytics.
Why this module is important
There is a changing risk profile in the research sector. Technological developments can facilitate wide-scale data linkage, AI can turbo-charge analytics, funders and publishers are pushing for ‘open data’, yet at the same time community expectations with regards to privacy protections are increasing. Both locally and globally, we are seeing a strengthening of privacy laws, which impact on organisations’ ability to collect, analyse, link and share data about people.
How do researchers and data scientists navigate the rules and requirements?
This module offers clarity and guidance.
What this module covers
On completion of this module, you will have gained an understanding of:
- Research participant and community expectations about data use
- The role of consent, how to get it, and when it is not needed
- Data security and the role of the 5 Safes
- Enabling compliant data sharing
- Using cloud, hosting or sharing data overseas, and what if GDPR applies
Who this module is for
This module is designed for people working in research, evaluation, data linkage or data analytics in Australia.
This eLearning module comprises a recorded webinar of 70 minutes duration, handouts, links to further resources, and a comprehensive assessment leading to a Certificate of Completion. The webinar was presented by leading privacy practitioner Anna Johnston. As a guide, this module takes around 90 minutes to complete.
Bite-sized professional development
- clear explanations of specialist areas of privacy law and practice
- developed by the market leaders in privacy training and advice
- a comprehensive randomised 10-question assessment on completion, to test understanding
- successful participants receive a Certificate of Completion
Terms of service
$150 + GST for 28 days access per user.
(Alternatively, access to this eLearning Module is included in our Research Essentials Compliance Kit.)
Further information about sharing, licensing, copyright etc for all our eLearning modules can be found in our Terms of Service.
This is a pay-per-user program. We can offer bulk enrolment and varied pricing if you have more than ten staff to complete this program in the same time period. For more information about multi-user subscriptions, or other questions about pricing or the technology used, please see our FAQs about our eLearning modules.