Anna Johnston, our Director, is one of Australia’s most respected experts in privacy law and practice.
With her qualifications in law, public policy and management, and more than 20 years’ experience in legal, policy and research roles, Anna brings a breadth of perspectives and a wealth of experience to dealing with privacy and data governance issues.
Since establishing Salinger Privacy in 2004, Anna has conducted numerous Privacy Impact Assessments and privacy compliance reviews for our clients. Anna also authors our range of guidance publications, and writes regularly for the Salinger Privacy blog and publications ranging from tendaily and Huffington Post to the Law Society Journal and Privacy Laws & Business.
As the former Deputy Privacy Commissioner for NSW, Anna also knows the regulator’s perspective. Since establishing Salinger Privacy, she has also been commissioned to write privacy guidance publications, and deliver training, on behalf of other regulators including the Australian, NSW and Victorian Privacy Commissioners.
Anna has trained staff of the NSW, Victorian and Federal Privacy Commissioners’ Offices, NCAT and the Crown Solicitor’s Office, and privacy, legal, risk/compliance and IT professionals from the government, business and community sectors across Australia and New Zealand. She has been called upon to provide expert testimony before various Parliamentary inquiries and the Productivity Commission, spoken at numerous conferences, and is regularly asked to comment on privacy issues in the media.
Anna’s pro bono advisory, advocacy, academic and editorial positions have included:
- Visiting Scholar at the Research Group on Law, Science, Technology and Society of the Faculty of Law and Criminology of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB), 2018
- Advisory Board Member for the EU’s STAR project, to develop training on behalf of European Data Protection Authorities, 2017 to date
- Member of the Asian Privacy Scholars Network (APSN), 2017 to date
- Editorial Board Member, Privacy Law Bulletin, 2010-16
- Advisory Committee Member, the Australian Law Reform Commission’s Inquiry into the Invasion of Privacy, 2013-14
- Board member, the International Association of Privacy Professionals, Australia & New Zealand, 2010-11
- Advisory Committee Member, the Australian Law Reform Commission’s expert advisory group on health privacy for the Review of the Privacy Act, 2006-08
- Project Team Member, University of New South Wales’ Interpreting Privacy Principles project, 2006-09
- Campaign Director, NoIDCard, the successful campaign against the proposed Access Card, 2006-07
- Chair of the Australian Privacy Foundation, 2005-06; Member of the International Committee 2018 to date
- Consumer Representative Member, National E-Health Transition Authority’s Consumer & Clinician Forum, 2005-06
- Primary Author, Australian country reports for Privacy International’s Privacy and Human Rights, 2005-06
- Editorial Board Member, Privacy Law & Policy Reporter, 2004-06
Anna holds a first class honours degree in Law, a Masters of Public Policy with honours, a Graduate Certificate in Management, a Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice, and a Bachelor of Arts. She was admitted as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of NSW in 1996. However since she no longer practices as a solicitor, she won’t mind your lawyer jokes at all.
Andrea Calleia, our Privacy Learning Manager, has extensive experience in the learning and development field, and has specialised in privacy training since 2003 when she managed the privacy education program for the NSW Privacy Commissioner’s Office. Since joining Salinger Privacy in 2008 Andrea has managed our e-learning privacy training program, and delivers most of our face to face training. She has developed and delivered customised privacy training on behalf of clients including the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner, and PRAXIS Australia. Andrea is consistently rated “5 out of 5” by our training participants and has been described as “excellent and engaging”, “enthusiastic, clear and effective”.
Andrea holds a Bachelor of Arts majoring in Education and Human Resources, as well as a Certificate IV in Training and Assessment, is a Certified Practitioner of Human Resources via the Australian Human Resources Institute and a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals, Australia & New Zealand.
Stephen Wilson, our Associate, is a leading international authority on digital identity and cyber security. His career spans more than 28 years in IT, software engineering and R&D management, in both Australia and the US, and since 1995 he has specialised in e-security.
Stephen’s privacy experience is founded on many years working in the sensitive sectors of healthcare and government, and forged through highly original research into the complex interplay of privacy and security. He has pioneered privacy engineering and design techniques to tailor practical guidance for information architects, designers and project managers, to help build privacy controls into the formative stages of systems development. Stephen has helped organisations in government, health and finance throughout the Asia Pacific, with e-security strategy, policy, architecture, privacy, risk management, governance and technology selection.
Stephen has long been involved in public policy in privacy and security. He was a member of the ALRC’s Developing Technology Advisory Sub-committee (2007-08) and the Federal Privacy Commissioner’s PKI Reference Group (2000). He has served as Standards Australia’s Nominated Privacy Expert on the ISO Financial Services Security Technical Committee 68/SC 6. Stephen has authored numerous submissions to public inquiries into privacy, including the National Health Privacy Code (2003), the Privacy Act (2005), the Health & Welfare Access Card (2007), and Health Identifiers (2010).
Stephen holds an honours degree in Electrical Engineering, and a Bachelor of Science.
Jo, our Office Manager, keeps Salinger Privacy running smoothly. As well as book-keeping, Jo looks after our subscribers and suppliers, and makes sure our website and monthly newsletter look fabulous.