Need to understand NSW privacy law? Here is your bible. 489 cases read and annotated, and still going strong.
Now in its 15th year of publication, PPIPA in Practice is our signature publication – available as a single-purchase eBook, or as an annual subscription with quarterly updates.
PPIPA in Practice is a fully annotated guide to the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (NSW). ‘PPIPA’ is the key Act that applies to State government agencies, universities and local councils in NSW. It also includes all cases decided under the Health Records & Information Privacy Act 2002 (NSW), known as ‘HRIPA’, which applies to the private sector in NSW as well as public sector agencies.
Whether you are a privacy officer needing advice, a lawyer advising a client, or a member of the public trying to frame a privacy complaint, PPIPA in Practice is designed to provide you with quick and comprehensive information about how each section of PPIPA (and HRIPA) are being interpreted and applied in practice.
PPIPA in Practice brings together information and interpretations from over 480 NSW privacy cases decided since 2001, including seminal Court of Appeal cases. It also incorporates the Privacy Commissioner’s advice on the legislation, drawn from various guidelines, newsletters and submissions.
The guide is constantly updated so you have the latest information available.
PPIPA in Practice answers common questions such as:
- what is included in the definition of “personal information”?
- are photographs or CCTV footage “personal information”?
- how does the “suitability for employment” exemption work?
- what form should a collection notice take?
- what are the “reasonable security safeguards” each agency needs to take?
- what do “express consent” and “implied consent” mean in practice?
- is COVID-19 a “serious and imminent threat”?
- when will the “law enforcement” exemption apply?
- how much compensation can be paid for a privacy breach?
… and plenty of uncommon questions too.
PPIPA in Practice also works as a companion guide to Untangling the IPPs and HPPs, our decision-tree guide to the Disclosure rules that apply under NSW law.
Click below to purchase the latest edition of PPIPA in Practice for $450 + GST, or see our annual subscription option (four editions pa) for $900 + GST pa.
Alternatively, the latest edition can be included along with other resources in one of our value-packed Compliance Kits.
We accept credit card, debit card or PayPal. Questions? See our eBook FAQs.