- Tips and Tricks to Enhancing Transparency in Personal Information Management – Our Senior Privacy Consultant Melanie Casley presented at OVIC’s Victorian Privacy Network meeting, on how to get privacy policies and collection notices right. Melanie’s presentation starts after a brief introduction from Victorian Information Commissioner Sven Bluemmel, at about 49 minutes into the video. April 2019.
- A Roadmap to Compliance – Our Director Anna Johnston offers a 2 minute overview of the steps needed for organisations to prepare for data breach notification and GDPR compliance. April 2018.
- GDPR 6 months on – Our Director Anna Johnston chaired a panel of privacy regulators from the UK, Germany and USA at the International Privacy Forum in Wellington, New Zealand. December 2018.
- Changes to Privacy Law – Our Director Anna Johnston and our Associate Steve Wilson in a long-form interview about data breach notification, GDPR, Privacy by Design, community attitudes towards privacy, PIAs and more. 90 mins for BenchTV subscribers, in two parts. April 2018.
- National Identity – Our Director Anna Johnston appeared on the AusTTA Government Transformation podcast, in conversation with Anne Lyons, Visiting Fellow at the Australian Strategic Policy Institute, about the implications for privacy and security highlighted in her paper, Identity of a Nation. Hosted by John Lawrance, March 2019.
- Political parties should be stripped of Privacy Act exemptions – Our Director Anna Johnston appeared on the ABC Radio National Breakfast program, discussing the implications for privacy, security and democracy of the political parties’ exemption from the Privacy Act, in the wake of the latest cyber attack. February 2019.
- Perspectives on Privacy – Our Director Anna Johnston appeared on the ABC Radio Future Tense program, arguing that we need to re-think the scope of privacy laws to include the concept of individuation. October 2017.
- Census 2016: Upsetting the delicate balance – Our Director Anna Johnston appeared on the ABC Radio National Breakfast program, arguing that the plans for data from the 2016 Census have upset the delicate balance between anonymity and valuable data. August 2016.
Other Media Mentions
- Privacy by Design – our Privacy Learning Manager Andrea Calleia had an article published in HR Monthly, about the privacy risks and challenges facing human resources professionals. August 2019
- Our Director Anna Johnston was interviewed for the Communications Law Bulletin, about law, tech, ethics, AI, GDPR, community expectations, data breaches and more. (CAMLA members only for now, open access later; see edition 38(2)). June 2019
- Political parties should be stripped of Privacy Act exemptions after hack: experts – Our Director Anna Johnston was interviewed by the SMH/The Age about the implications for democracy of the political parties’ exemption from the Privacy Act, in the wake of recent cyberattacks. February 2019. And more in April 2019: Democracy at stake.
- Data breach; privacy breach? – Our Director Anna Johnston appeared on the ABC Radio National “AM” program, talking about data breaches and the My Health Record system. August 2018.
- Data sharing laws under spotlight – A submission prepared jointly with other members of the privacy profession was quoted in this review of the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet’s Issues Paper on the proposed Data Sharing & Release Bill. August 2018.
- The GDPR: A perspective from Down Under – At the conclusion of her period as a Visiting Scholar at the School of Law Science Technology & Society, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, our Director Anna Johnston was interviewed by the Brussels Privacy Hub about the global effects of the GDPR. June 2018.
- New GDPR privacy laws triggering data emails – An interview with ABC Online to explain the impacts of the GDPR. May 2018.
- Why The Facebook Scandal Impacts You More Than You Think – Our Director Anna Johnston was invited to write an op-ed for the launch of TenDaily. May 2018.